Skip to main content

Book Review - Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything is Nicola Yoons Debut novel.

" My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black - black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster. " Everything, Everything - Goodreads page

Book Depository page - Everything, Everything


Maddy's world revolves around her doctor mother, her nurse and her books, that come to her vacuum sealed, she has never been in a used book store Book Store, she hasn't left her house in seventeen years.

Maddy is allergic to the world, Maddy has SCID, a very rare disease.

Maddy lives her life alone in her little bubble, until one day new neighbours move in right next door, and a certain somebody catches her eyes, Olly, the boy next door, she finds him and his family interesting and starts spending her days watching them.

Maddy is not supposed to be in physical contact with anyone from the outside, so her friendship with Olly starts with IMing him, so begins the romance with the boy next door whom she can't even make physical contact with.

I loved Maddy, she was such a wise and strong character, she literally lived her whole life in a bubble, no friends, no interactions with the real world. She wanted not just to live her life but to live a life worth remembering. If you are looking for a great, strong character with diversity, this is where to go, Maddy is a Japanese / African American protagonist that is not your typical YA book character.

Olly was a total cutie and all he wanted was to protect Maddy and that warmed my heart , one of my favourite parts of the books is his and Maddy's IM interactions, they were cute and funny and you really got a sense of who they were through them. I loved seeing how Maddy was with Olly, you could tell they made each other whole and seeing her experience the world with him was wonderful.
Their relationship just felt real and so natural to them and I loved how she wrote it.

I loved the writing style in this book, I felt like Maddy was telling her story to me, as like a diary I guess, it just made it so much more personal and I love when books are written like this and Nicola Yoon did a wonderful job of this. 

Also the integration of the graphs and the pictures to the book were pleasing, they are always a great aspect to any book.

This was exactly the book I was looking for to take me out of my reading slump, it was sweet, fun and hopeful, plus who doesn't love a good love story?

This book has everything in it, it has a sweet romance that will give anyone butterflies during any of Olly and Maddy's interactions, it also deals with aspects of mental illness , which needs to be addressed more in YA Novels, this also deals with serious family and abuse problems.

It has a very intense plot, it's quite intriguing and you can tell that Nicola Yoon did quite a lot of research for this. There is a plot twist nearing the end of the book that will get you hooked, like seriously hooked as you will need to know the outcome of it, I personally did not see this coming but I'm sure there are some readers that did, I think it took a really unique turn.

This book will truly give you all the feels and you won't ever want to put it down, and I am so glad I enjoyed this book as I thought it's hype might ruin it for me but I loved it very much and ended up reading it in less than 3 days.

Also isn't that cover just BEAUTIFUL, and it was designed by Nicola's husband!!!



I rated this book a 5/5 stars on goodreads and even if you are not a contemporary reader I still think you should try this one out.

Thanks for reading, 
Bye, 
Jodi
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 Beauty Questions Tag

These pictures have absolutely nothing to do with this tag but oh well! I was bored at home so I decided to do a few tags and this one was the first one I saw and is also the longest so lets get started andI also tag anyone who reads this to do it! SKINCARE 1. How many times do you wash your face daily? Mostly 2 times (morning and night) but if I'm having bad skin I'll do it 3 times. 2. What skin type do you have? (dry, oily, combo) I have oily skin but I've never been to a skin expert or anything so I'm completely sure. 3. What is your current face wash? I'm currently using the Simple kind to skin facial wash gel. 4. Do you exfoliate? Yes I do. 5. What brand do you use?  Clean & Clear. 6. What moisturiser do you use? Nivea Soft. 7. Do you have freckles? No, some on my shoulders. 8. Do you use eye cream? No, and I know I really should. 9. Do you or did you have acne-prone skin? I did whe...

The social media book tag

Hi, so I thought today I would do another book tag and I see this one around quite a lot and I have always wanted to do it, so here is the Social Media Book Tag, enjoy! 1. Twitter; Your favourite short book? Probably James Patterson's; Bloody Valentine, this was my first James Patterson book and I love horrible, disgusting killer stories so this was really perfect for me and I had never read anything like it up until then. 2. Facebook; A book everybody pressured you into reading? Anna and the French kiss. Don't get me wrong I loved this book so much but even though nobody directly told me to read it I still felt the pressure from afar, from social media itself (Youtube, Goodreads) but I do love the book so I am thankful for the pressure. 3. Tumblr;    A book you read before it was cool? Ah I don't think I have read a book before it was cool, but I'm going to go with a book that isn't out yet but when it is, it's going to blow up and that is Firsts by La...

Boyfriend Tag

Happy Valentines day!! I hope everyone has a great day today if you are doing something. I wanted to do another Valentines day post but not anything Makeup or Fashion so I decided to do a tag and it will be doing 'The Boyfriend Tag'. So now introducing my boyfriend Leon, and we have been together almost 4 years. And now lets just get straight into the tag..... 1. She's sitting in front of the TV, What's on the screen? L. Criminal Minds J. Yes but also Pretty Little Liars 2. You're out to eat, what dressing is on her salad? L. Caesar dressing J. Yes 3. One food she doesn't she like? L. Red Meat J. Yes, that and Beans 4. You go out to eat, what drink does she order? L. Usually Water J.Yep 5. What shoe size is she? L. Size 4 J. Yes but sometimes a 3 6 .If she was collecting anything what would it be? L. Magazines, Books and Makeup J. Yes. 7. Favourite type of sandwich? L. Chicken Sandwich J. Yes 8. What would she eat eve...