Hello, this is another Book Review, this time for Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn, can I first start this off my saying how sweet Laurie is, not many authors will comment on your Instagram posts thanking you for reading their book but she did and I just thought that was really lovely of her and I just wanted to quickly mention it.
Firstly the synopsis from Goodreads - " Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfils a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.
Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy so far. He absentee mother isn't home enough to know about Mercedes' extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won't even say the word 'Sex' until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn't bank on Angela's boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn - or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in the bed.
When Mercedes' perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. " ( Goodreads page - Firsts )
Firsts is a very unique book. It's basically a book about a girl, a girl and her de-virginising service.
The storyline basically follows, the main character, Mercedes or Mercy, as her list of virgins grows and her rules start to slip.
At first, Mercy has everything under control in the bedroom. She guides these guys through their first time so their girlfriends will have a perfect first time, a one they deserve, unlike her own first time. As long as the guys keep their mouths shut out of the bedroom and pretend she doesn't exist in school, everything works well.
Soon Mercy starts slipping, her control in the bedroom is gone and she doesn't know who she is or what shes doing, she turns into a complete mess.
I really do appreciate the statement Laurie is making with this book - guess what? Teenagers have sex too, weather you realise it or not, this book is very realistic in the aspect.
Mercy is a very confident person who is very at ease with her sexuality, I like that we have the complete opposite in her best friend, Angela, who is a extremely religious teenager who whats to wait till marriage to have sex, but starts to question this decision when her boyfriend starts pressuring her into doing it, I like seeing how this played out as it was a big aspect in Mercy's falling apart and was a great addition to the storyline,
I was a big fan of Faye, the new girl in the school who immediately befriends Mercy. Faye is a brave and confident character who is not afraid to speak her mind, and we see that the moment she enters the story. Faye is a breath of fresh air who is different and likable. I truly admire her for all she does for Mercy when she is in need of a friend, especially at the end with Zach, it became definite that she was my favourite character after this.
The only thing I disliked about this was the way she treated Zach, the person who truly likes her for her, but I do think that's what Laurie wanted, I think she wanted us to hate the fact that Mercy just wouldn't be with him, I also so understand why she did it as she was going through a lot of things with the virgins and personal life but I still couldn't help feeling sorry for Zach.
I am delighted to say that I found the ending satisfying as I do love a cheesy ending, I am all for that mushy love ending. I highly recommend this book as its very different from anything I have read and don't be afraid of the content as it's just a realistic setting.
Looking forward to more Laurie Elizabeth Flynn works in the future.
-rated 5* starts on Goodreads - expected publication - January 5th 2016 - book depository preorder page - Firsts
GOODREADS - Jodiryan96 - INSTAGRAM - readingunit
Firstly the synopsis from Goodreads - " Seventeen-year-old Mercedes Ayres has an open-door policy when it comes to her bedroom, but only if the guy fulfils a specific criteria: he has to be a virgin. Mercedes lets the boys get their awkward, fumbling first times over with, and all she asks in return is that they give their girlfriends the perfect first time- the kind Mercedes never had herself.
Keeping what goes on in her bedroom a secret has been easy so far. He absentee mother isn't home enough to know about Mercedes' extracurricular activities, and her uber-religious best friend, Angela, won't even say the word 'Sex' until she gets married. But Mercedes doesn't bank on Angela's boyfriend finding out about her services and wanting a turn - or on Zach, who likes her for who she is instead of what she can do in the bed.
When Mercedes' perfect system falls apart, she has to find a way to salvage her reputation and figure out where her heart really belongs in the process. " ( Goodreads page - Firsts )
Firsts is a very unique book. It's basically a book about a girl, a girl and her de-virginising service.
The storyline basically follows, the main character, Mercedes or Mercy, as her list of virgins grows and her rules start to slip.
At first, Mercy has everything under control in the bedroom. She guides these guys through their first time so their girlfriends will have a perfect first time, a one they deserve, unlike her own first time. As long as the guys keep their mouths shut out of the bedroom and pretend she doesn't exist in school, everything works well.
Soon Mercy starts slipping, her control in the bedroom is gone and she doesn't know who she is or what shes doing, she turns into a complete mess.
I really do appreciate the statement Laurie is making with this book - guess what? Teenagers have sex too, weather you realise it or not, this book is very realistic in the aspect.
Mercy is a very confident person who is very at ease with her sexuality, I like that we have the complete opposite in her best friend, Angela, who is a extremely religious teenager who whats to wait till marriage to have sex, but starts to question this decision when her boyfriend starts pressuring her into doing it, I like seeing how this played out as it was a big aspect in Mercy's falling apart and was a great addition to the storyline,
I was a big fan of Faye, the new girl in the school who immediately befriends Mercy. Faye is a brave and confident character who is not afraid to speak her mind, and we see that the moment she enters the story. Faye is a breath of fresh air who is different and likable. I truly admire her for all she does for Mercy when she is in need of a friend, especially at the end with Zach, it became definite that she was my favourite character after this.
The only thing I disliked about this was the way she treated Zach, the person who truly likes her for her, but I do think that's what Laurie wanted, I think she wanted us to hate the fact that Mercy just wouldn't be with him, I also so understand why she did it as she was going through a lot of things with the virgins and personal life but I still couldn't help feeling sorry for Zach.
I am delighted to say that I found the ending satisfying as I do love a cheesy ending, I am all for that mushy love ending. I highly recommend this book as its very different from anything I have read and don't be afraid of the content as it's just a realistic setting.
Looking forward to more Laurie Elizabeth Flynn works in the future.
-rated 5* starts on Goodreads - expected publication - January 5th 2016 - book depository preorder page - Firsts
GOODREADS - Jodiryan96 - INSTAGRAM - readingunit
Thanks for reading,
Bye,
Jodi
x

Comments